[SunHELP] Increasing root partition

Will Yardley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 2 16:43:55 CST 2001

Maarten Deen wrote:

> my / partition has become too small and now I want to increase it
> without having to install Solaris. I was thinking of partitioning a
> new disk with larger / and then use dd to copy all the info there. I
> tried it and I couldn't even get the new partition to mount, it was
> not labeled after I dd'd / there.
> Is this the wrong approach? How to do this otherwise?

i used rsync to copy stuff off of a broken disk recently and that seemed
to work pretty well except for a few problems with our virus scanner.  i
know that might sound weird (i didn't even know you could use rsync on a
local disk) but it seemed to work.

why not just symlink some stuff in / to /usr/local/whatever or
/usr/whatever (or to any partition where you have more space)? this
usually works for me. obviously you don't want to move anything too
important to another partition.

--
William Yardley                   System Administrator, Newdream Network
william at hq.newdream.net         http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/gpg.asc