[SunHELP] cannot boot from scsi cdrom!

Christopher Smiga sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 11:01:02 CDT 2001

--------------6368098DD13E281CA38D27B2

Craig,

Did you just connect the CDROM to your system?

Did you check for CDROM while viewing the "devalias" command at the "Ok"
prompt of OBP
(Open Boot Prompt)? If you don't have a devalias of CDROM in NVRAM, your
system  needs
to be set up for this.

I know you can manually add this with the "nvalias" command at the
"Ok" prompt of OBP. Or,
you can "boot -r" at the "Ok" prompt of OBP to have the system recognize
the drive. If you use
the "boot -r" command, let the system reboot to recognize the
CDROM drive. After the system
is back up. Run "shutdown -y -g0 -i0" at the Unix command line to
gracefully bring the OS
down and enter the OBP "Ok prompt.

>From here enter the "boot cdrom" command at the OBP "Ok prompt.
Everything should be good
after this.

--
Christopher Smiga
Enterprise Management Architect
e-Mail: csmiga at yahoo.com

EMCion - Enterprise Managment Center Ion
http://www.emcion.org

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

craig wrote:

> I just come across a problem when I just want to install solaris 8
> from scsi cdrom.When after poweron it shows prompt 'ok' and I type
> 'boot cdrom' as the guide document said.But it shows 'Can't open boot
> device' and if I type 'boot cdrom1' the console also shows'Trap 3e'. I
> have search the solutin across internet and find some other people
> have come acrossthe same problem. But I cannot find any answer to such
> question!   Help!!

--------------6368098DD13E281CA38D27B2

Craig,
"Ok" prompt of OBP
your system  needs
of OBP. Or,
recognize the drive. If you use
After the system
bring the OS
should be good
Christopher Smiga<br>
Enterprise Management Architect<br>
e-Mail: csmiga at yahoo.com<br>
EMCion - Enterprise Managment Center Ion<br>
<A HREF="http://www.emcion.org">http://www.emcion.org</A>