[SunHELP] rpc.ttdbserverd error messages

Afrose Abdulla sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 09:48:11 CDT 2001

--------------5EA3F8807D779982F90086BE

rpc.ttdbserverd troubleshooting:

 rpc.ttdbserverd is the second most important component of Tooltalk, just behind
 ttsession.

rpc.ttdbserverd manages associations between Tooltalk objects, and notices/requests.
One instance of rpc.ttdbserverd runs on each host (normally started by inetd)
that has a local file system.

For each filesystem (or partition) that rpc.ttdbserverd stores information about, it
creates a directory called TT_DB at the mount point of that file system. TT_DB is a
database which contains the associations between files in it's partition and session
with patterns interested in these files.  It also contains all the objects specification
information for files in it's partition.

Below are some things to check if encountering rpc.ttdbserverd problems:

1) If receiving the following NET ISAM errors in /var/sadm/messages:

      /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserverd: child status changed - core dumped
      last message repeated twenty times
   or:
      rpc.ttdbserverd[9010]: NetISAM: read failed
      NetISAM[9010]: Fatal error: read failed - UNIX errno 11
      inetd[100]: /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserverd: Child Status Changed

   Please refer to INFODOC ID: 12729, Cleaning out the ToolTalk Databases,
   for troubleshooting tips. In the above case, rpc.ttdbserverd has found a
   corrupted TT_DB file.

2) Is rpc.ttdbserverd running?

   There is one rpc.ttdbserverd per machine. To check whether the process is
   running and who owns it, issue the following command:

  % ps -ef | grep rpc.tt

 sample output:
    root   397   135  0   Mar 15 ?        0:00 rpc.ttdbserverd

3) Is the inetd entry correct?

   The default inetd entry looks like:

   100083/1   tli   rpc/tcp wait root /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserverd rpc.ttdbserverd

Joe Serra wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have really checked for this one but i could not find it in the FAQs:
>
> I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sun Ultra-Enterprise 4000 and i have the following error message in /var/adm/messages:
>
> /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserverd[15521]: NetISAM: read failed: requested 1024 bytes, got 0
> inetd[1132]: /usr/dt/bin/rpc.ttdbserverd: Hangup
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be?
> Please, any help is welcome.
> Thank you in advance.
> ---
>
> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at http://www.eudoramail.com