[SunHELP] logging into a system with a twist...

Solaris Neophyte sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 02:16:25 CDT 2001

I know this topic has been covered in one form or
another, but it hasn't been covered to handle my exact
circumstances.

I was given a Sparc4 running Solaris 2.5.1

The root password is unknown.  This machine has no
cdrom drive and it has no floppy drive.

I tried booting into the single user mode, but that
requires the root password.

Right now I'm at a loss.  I have a Solaris 2.6 CD but
as I mentioned no CDRom to access it.  I was wondering
if it's possible to put the CDRom in my FreeBSD server
and somehow have the Sparc4 boot off the CD over the
network.

The problem is the address of the Sparc4 not only in a
different network, but it's a different class.  Is
there anyway I can change the ip address w/o logging
into the machine?

If I am able to boot over the network and use the CD
in my FreeBSD machine, how exactly would I go about 1.
reinstalling the OS, 2. entering a new root password?

I'm really lost with this one... any and all help will
be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah... taking out the HD isn't really an option,
because I don't have a SCSI controller... :/