[SunHELP] Hard Drive for Sparc 10.

Dave Garten sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 15:00:08 CDT 2001

Andrew,

The SPARCStation 10 uses 'any' narrow 50 pin SCSI drive.  The Seagates drives
that begin with ST and and with N are likely candidates (ST 31200N for
instance).  The tallest form factor that will fit is the 1.6 inch variety.

For the SCSI recognition problem, SPARCStations are usually (default) set to
boot from the device at SCSI ID3.  The command probe-scsi at the ok> prompt
will illuminate which devices are on what IDs and maybe whether or not all of
them are in fact working.

The command 'boot cdrom -s' at the ok> prompt will usually (default behavior)
attempt to boot from the device at SCSI ID6.  If it is a CDROM with a Solaris
(or LINUX?) disk in it, you can get to the operating system and poke about.

There is a manual about all this at docs.sun.com.  Search there for 'OpenBoot
2.x Command Reference Manual'

V/R

DG