[SunHELP] Adding a PCI SCSI card to an IDE Ultra 10.....

Zutshi, Ayush X sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 13:15:44 CDT 2001

Hey Sun Gurus,

I have some questions about adding SCSI to an all IDE Ultra 10 workstation
on the cheap!  I was told that I would need a Symbios PCI SCSI card but not
Symbios "Tekram" card.
1) I can get my hands on a "Symbios 8651SP" card and was wondering if this
particular card was compatible with Sun's "glm" driver?
2) Does this card work smoothly with Solaris 8 or would I would have to mess
with any configuration files/jumpers on the card etc. etc?
3) I have been told of problems with Adaptec PCI SCSI cards not being able
to use SCSI disks as boot devices.  Does this Symbios card have the same
problems? (Not that it matters to me, I guess I can still boot off the IDE
disk)
3) There are so many different kinds of SCSI interfaces: 50-pin; 68-
pin;SCA;SCSI-1;SCSI-2;Ultra Wide etc. and I only know what a few of them
are.  I want to get comfortable with this whole SCSI nomenclature. (I want
hook up a Sun Multipack to the above mentioned SCSI controller and want to
make sure that all the ends connect to each other)  Could anyone shed some
light or point me to a URL where these things are defined??

Here is my pitiful knowledge about these connectors so far:
(Please correct me if I am wrong)
SCA is the funky connector on a SS5 or a SS20.
50-Pin is the regular SCSI found in a SPARC Classic or an SS10.
What do you call the SCSI connector on the back of a 411 case?
68-pin????

Thanks in advance.  Any insights or lessons learned doing this sort of thing
would be highly appreciated.

Later

Ayush Zutshi