[SunHELP] Switch

Fogg, James sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 09:26:06 CDT 2001

I think you will find that your Netgear stuff is fine.
There is nothing that a hub or switch can do to "foul up"
a NIC interface (unless hugely broken, but then it
wouldn't work at all).

Some NICs are not happy with some switches when it comes
time to autonegotiate speed and duplex. Set the switchports
so they won't autonegotiate and use an appropriate speed
setting for the ports (the fastest the NIC supports) and
full duplex (note.. full duplex is not properly supported
by most 10Mb NICs, use half duplex if 10Mb). You should be fine.