[SunHELP] Max number of luns under Solaris ?

Alejandro B Halili sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 15:46:06 CDT 2001

Hi All,

Does anyone know the maximum number of luns supported under all versions of
Solaris (2.6, 7, and 8) ?

Here's a response from JNI Corporation.   As you can see, their HBA card
can support
up to 32,000 luns/HBA in a loop topology and over 1.2 million in a Fabric
configuration.

> The maximum number of LUNs we can support per target in Solaris is 256.
> For Loop, we support the maximum 125 targets per HBA (per Loop) so
125x256 =
> 32000 LUNs per HBA
> For Fabric, we (theoretically) support up to 5000 targets per HBA, so
> 5000x256 = 1,280,000 LUNs per HBA

> Let me know if you have any other questions.

Where and how do I find this information ?
What is this limit in Solaris ?  How do I check this value in the kernel ?
What is the name of the kernel parameter ?  Is the parameter tunable ?

Thanks,

Alejandro