[SunHELP] banner vS .version

gonufer sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 12 23:22:55 CDT 2001

Sangbutsarakum, Patai wrote:
> I'm preparing myself for certificate testing in a few day.
> After I've try some test on the net.
> I've confuse between 2 command of OBP
> banner and .version
> What're different of each out put?
> that say about version of obp or release of PROM or ...
> I've read the obp reference in docs.sun.com but
> Still ambiguous, Someone please help..

banner tells you a little bit about the machine and has
a non-specific OBP version number, usually only the major
and minor version, not the complete version.

.version tells you very specifically which version
of OBP you are using and, in addition, the versions
of other pieces of the boot prom (POST, OBDIAG, etc.)

Example:

ok .version
Release 4.4 Version 4 created 2001/08/09 16:43
OBP 4.4.4 2001/08/09 16:43
POST 4.3.0 2001/06/14 12:01
OBDIAG 4.3.0 2001/07/15 16:16
ok banner
SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000 (2 X UltraSPARC-III+) , No Keyboard
Copyright 1998-2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.4, 4608 MB memory installed, Serial #XXXXXXXX.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:XX:XX:XX, Host ID: 8XXXXXX.

ok

You can also get the OBP version via "prtconf -V" in SunOS.

-greg