[SunHELP] disk usage

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 11 22:07:01 CDT 2001

Hi,

Sort of a vague-y question here ... I'm getting back down into my system
after being, uh, -laid off- on Wednesday, so I have time to play.

I'm wondering about techniques for system optimization. "df" reports that
I am at 53% usage, which seems really high to me, even given that I
recently partitioned the HD in two so that I could have FreeBSD running on
my machine as well (which would of course have doubled the value reported
by df).

There are roughly 15GB on the Debian side of things, which - okay - ain't
the biggest space in the world anymore, but should be -plenty.- I didn't
think I had enough candy installed to occupy over half that space ... so
I'm wondering where crud might have a tendency to build up on a Debian
install, how to find it and what the easiest way might be to get rid of it
is.

The real impetus for this is that I've heard, anyway, that unauthorized
users can figure out ways to use one's unused HD space to store their
warez, or what have you, and I sure wouldn't like it if that was what was
going on here ...

Anyhoo, sorry if this is unfocused and thanks in advance for any pointers
on housecleaning.

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"