[SunHELP] fsck

David Rouse sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 20:50:03 CDT 2001

On Thursday, August 9, 2001, at 01:19  AM, Sangbutsarakum, Patai wrote:

> So, how can I do, can I do fsck on root,/usr file system ??

 From 'man fsck'

WARNINGS
      The operating system buffers file system data.  Running fsck
      on  a  mounted  file system can cause the operating system's
      buffers to become out of date with respect to the disk.  For
      this  reason,  the file system should be unmounted when fsck
      is used. If this is not possible, care should be taken  that
      the  system is quiescent and that it is rebooted immediately
      after fsck  is run. Quite often, however, this will  not  be
      sufficient.   A  panic  will probably occur if running  fsck
      on a file system modifies the file system.

So, just so it from single-user and then reboot.

You could also, theoretically, boot from a Soalris install CD and use
the CD's fsck.

--
David Rouse