[SunHELP] Hard drive.

Hichael Morton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 19:31:57 CDT 2001

John,

Sparc 10s use Fast SCSI hard drives (also called SCSI-2 by some).  These
drives use 50-pin connectors (2 rows x 25 pins).  All the Sun SCSI
connectors that I have ever seen use industray standard connectors.

You may be thinking of the SBus connector that most SparcStations use
for their system board connectors (like PCs use ISA, EISA, VLB, PBI
connectors on their mother boards).  Even these SBus and other Sun
connectors are open for other vendors to manufacture SBus cards.  (Sun
also has used other connectors on various system boards but SBus seems
to be the mainstay for Sparcstations.)

Or you may be thinking of the fact that Sun was using Fast SCSI hard
drives with the HD-50 connector while PCs were using the
Centronics-style connector.

Sun-branded hard drives are more expensive because, according to Sun,
they spec and test their hard drive to higher standards and because,
when under service contracts, they are warrantied for the life of the
contract.

I have used Sun hard drives in PCs with Adaptec controller and non-Sun
hard drives in Sun machines without any problems.  The connectors are
plug-and-play so to speak.

The current Sun Field Engineer shows only industry standard connectors
on the hard drives used by Sun.

Hope this helps!

Michael