[SunHELP] Seeding for apple network

Tim Conrad sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 16:31:09 CDT 2001

You  might want to check out netatalk.

While i'm mostly making this up by the seat of my pants. Which is how I
usually fly. I think that if you aren't routing appletalk, that the
machines themselves can seed themselves. They'll simply assign themself an
appletalk address, and then ask the network if it's being used or not. (Or
something along those lines) If it's being used, it'll simply randomly pick
another one and try again.

(I just know that I've worked in a lot of relatively simple AppleTalk
networks, and never have had anything specifically configured to seed the
network. The AppleShare IP server, may, but when it's only configured to
use IP and not AppleTalk, it probably isn't seeding the network.)

Then again, I have 0 clue what 'totalnet' is.

Tim