[SunHELP] Seeding for apple network

Fogg, James sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 16:21:41 CDT 2001

You only need to seed if you are going to have zones. Usually you separate
zones with routers. Therefore, usually you need a router to seed the net.

You have an alternative if you have the Mac Server Software. That could seed
too (though I never have done it that way).

If you have a Cisco router you can use the IOS versions that support
Appletalk to seed the net. If you need such an IOS I can help.

I have seen snippets of support for Appletalk (ethertalk actually) under
Linux. Perhaps a Linuxboxen could seed. I have never played with Apple under
linux, so no idea of its capabilities (my large scale Mac networking days
preceeded my Linux days).