[SunHELP] [Q] Why T3 RAID 1 and 5 need "verify" every 30 days?

L sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 07:03:29 CDT 2001

We have SUn T3 array connect to SUN server.  I read the 'T3
administrator's guide" page 2-6 and their has one setence said " check
data parity using the VOL Verify command before performing tape-backup
overwrite cycles, approximately once every 30 days".  my questions are:

  1. what is " tape-backup overwrite cycles" meaning?

  2. why other company's RAID 1 and 5 does NOT need "verify" every 30
days?

  3. if I don't do that every 30 day, do I get problem?

Thanks for help.