[SunHELP] YASSP vs TITAN

Ben Ricker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 03:34:43 CDT 2001

On 08 Aug 2001 01:00:55 -0700, Steve Wingate wrote:
> Any strong opinions on YASSP versus TITAN security lockdown scripts for
> a dedicated, single-purpose home webserver?
>
> Sparc20, Dual SM61, 128MB RAM, Solaris 8 - Apache, MySQL, PHP, SSH and
> pretty much nothing else.

Just a point: home, work, Defense Department. They ALL should be as
secure as you can make it. Hacking is a supply/demand sort of
relationship: if there is less supply, there will be less demand. I am
not patronizing you here. Just making a general point.

Second, I would use BOTH of them. Start with YASSP. It locks the machine
down HARD if you don't do it right (I had to reset up my networking
scripts after I ran the default run (this was last year sometime). That,
actually, is good. In security, you should start hard and soften it up
later (enable networking, turn on only essential services, etc.).

Then, run Titan. They both do different things (although they overlap).

Now, I did do this a while ago so the programs may have changed. Read
the manuals/READMEs, etc.

Ben Ricker
System Administrator
Wellinx.com