[SunHELP] Best Way to Veritas NetBackup and Restore?

Foong, Tzeweng sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 03:13:49 CDT 2001

Hello

This is a back-up newbie speaking.!! Please help.

I need to create ways to
   1) Automatically Install veritas backup

   2) At a specific times do full backups.

   3) Do a full recovery.

I know some of you may be thinking its simple just do it.
But I need some advice / guidance.

1) Firstly.. I have Box which says "Veritas  NetBackup, DataCenter, Unix
v3.4"

In the box I have 8 manuals of varying thicknesses. I need to install the
software yesterday. So its not going to happen!! Which manual shoud I read
first.

What I have are several Stand Alone Solaris boxes. Each are connected to the

internet and run a webserver. (I work for an ISP which does on site
Hosting).
Individually they need to be backed up( Just like I would back up the PC on
my desk). They each have their own tape drive, and, they do not talk to
each other. So what software do I need to install. Do I need the
DataCenter (Didnt think so). From the manuals It looks like there is a
client
and a server in NetBackup. BUT I DONT HAVE A SERVER. All the boxes
think they are the center of the universe. Do i need to install both the
client
and the server on each of the boxes? so that each can do their own backup
and restore? Or only the client is enough? O only the server is enough.

2) I guess I need a Cron job to run a nightly back up script. What is a good

general purpose script to do a full backup? I guess when I figured out (1)
above (2) would be a piece of cake.

3) Is there some way to automate a restore? My task is to be able to
restore lost of machines at the same time. We dont have many machines
at this time but it is expected to grow to large numbers (Thats why I am
doing
this now)

Any usefull hint or advice would be appreciated. Code snippets would be
gratefully
disected. Please keep in mind we are trying to be able to install 1000's of
machines
so as automated as posible would be good. But I will be really happy with
ANY pointers
at all at the moment as I an really clueless !! ;-)

Thanks In Advance !!

TW the clueless