[SunHELP] OpenBoot flash on Ultra 60

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 30 02:20:08 CDT 2001

I have an Ultra 60, single 360MHz CPU, OBP version 3.11.25.

I want to update the OBP to the latest version, which seems to be 3.27 per
patch 106455-09, released 9/00.

Following label directions, I download the patch, put the binary in the root
of the boot partition, shut down, and change the jumper J2703 to pins 2-3.
Upon powering on and following the directions to run the flash utility from
the OpenBoot console, the utility seems to run correctly and identifies itself
as being correct for an Ultra 60, among other machines.  However, instead of
the response sequence indicated in the patch notes, I get this:

The Flash PROM device in this system cannot be reprogrammed.
You need to contact your service provider for information on updating
the FLASH PROM device in this system.  For further details, please
refer to the latest version of

"Sun(tm) Flash PROM Guide for Workstations and WorkGroup
Servers - StandAlone Version"

Protected sectors:  12  13  14
Program terminated

Note that this isn't the error message produced if you try to run the utility
with the jumper on pins 1-2 (write-protected).  In that case you get a message
to the effect that the device is write-protected and you need to change the
jumper (duh).

Any idea what is going on here?  Is it possible that the system somehow has an
OpenBoot ROM instead of a PROM?  There is also reference in the system
manual's OpenBoot section to a Jumper 2804, described "Boot Control".  Does
this need to be changed as well?  (Seems unlikely, as the detailed
instructions don't mention it.)

KeS