[SunHELP] Re: where is cc ?

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 15:03:26 CDT 2001

>> when I tried to execute this , appears :
>> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
>
> You should be able to get the gcc package for your version of Solaris at
> www.sunfreeware.com
>
> The path to gcc in Solaris 8 should be:
>         /opt/sfw/bin/gcc
> Just add the above to your PATH statement in your .profile.

if you have installed gcc from the software companion it will be in /opt/sfw
otherwise, if you install it from sunfreeware.com it will be in /usr/local

also, /usr/ucb/cc is just a small script file that prints that message out
so after you install gcc either

a) delete /usr/ucb/cc
b) delete /usr/ucb/cc and link it to gcc

up to you, i like to:

# rm /usr/ucb/cc
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/cc

Just Because(tm)

cheers,

-brian