[SunHELP] Tracking Hacker ?

James Fogg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 08:07:14 CDT 2001

My guesses:
Someone at work runs a packet analyzer (sniffer). With telnet (ie:
rapeme_im_stupid) running and someone rooting from the Internet you are wide
open.

Or, someone on the internet used a packet analyzer and caught the
cleartext password for root (if your buddy uses cable/dsl, just shoot yourself).

They don't appear very sophisticated if they didn't modify the file access time
for motd. Run SSH exclusively and your console traffic will be reasonably
secure. You should even run SSH on your routers (Cisco supports SSH, maybe
others do too).

Another hint, since you're a Director of Netops, tighten up your security and
study intrusion methods (or hire someone cluefull). Even a firewall is no
protection, just a delaying tactic.

btw... no firewall at work? AND its a communications company (I hope you do
better for your customers)? My suggestion is get a firewall or get a new job.
When someone cleans your companies clock the bigdude will ask why it happened.
You will have no good answer.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, THOU SPAKE: