[SunHELP] Tracking Hacker ?

Jeff Feller sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 22:59:25 CDT 2001

Well, uhhh, no .. unfortunately I have no firewall protecting this
machine.  It is a machine I have colocated at my place of work.  It is
used as a webserver and mail server - nothing more.  I generally shut off
all ports like telnet, ftp, etc but for some reason when I set this one up
I didn't - I think it's because the other guy who has root said I was to
paranoid and told me to keep telnet open ?

Nothing was out of the usual for /etc/passwd.  In fact, after this had
happened, I also locked accounts that aren't ever used temporarily because
if they aren't used - do they need to be active? :)

I'll check with our system administrator no the log thing, but I'm willing
to be we keep no logs on our router.

I'll keep lookin' around perhaps looking for all / any files modified on
"Apr 24" at 18:52 or so.. Otherwise, from the looks of it, the ONLY file I
see that were touched so far were /etc/motd, /var/adm/messages and the
wtmp or utmp files I assume since there is nothing in "last" ...

Thank you!  I know, I know.. I need to get tighter security on EVERY
machine on the net.  The only "SECURE SERVER" is one that is not plugged
in :)

Jeff Feller
Director of Network Operations
BitZ Communications