[SunHELP] Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: New list policies on "for sale" ads (Good Grief)

Lara Matthews sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 09:13:36 CDT 2001

Hi

Last time the list was changed a lot of people complained, me inclueded
as it ment that the general population of the list never learnt what the
solution to any problem was, and so never learned anything new until
they themselves hit the problem.

I much prefer the list the way it is now with all repies going back to
the list so everyone can see the solution and also know if someone has
already answered a problem they were going to help with.

Lara

Dave Garten wrote:

> Jan Johansson <janj-sunhelp at wenf.org> said:
>
> snip-
> >
> > Educate the users, do not try to get around them.
> >
> snip-
>
> Amen.  I second Jan's comment.  It is just plain 'painful' to reply to an
> individual on these lists.  Thats counterintuitive.
>
> The 'Paperware Archive' essay he points out is convincing.  You can grok his
> summary (edited) below:
>
> "Many people want to munge Reply-To headers. They believe it makes reply-to-
> list easier, and it encourages more list traffic. It really does neither, and
> is a very poor idea. Reply-To munging suffers from the following problems:
>
> -It limits a subscriber's freedom to choose how he or she will direct a
> response.
> -It actually reduces functionality for the user of a reasonable mailer.
> -It removes important information, which can make it impossible to get back
> to the message sender.
> -It violates the principle of least work because complicates the procedure
> for replying to messages.
> -It violates the principle of least surprise because it changes the way a
> mailer works.
> -It violates the principle of least damage, and it encourages a failure mode
> that can be extremely embarrassing -- or worse"
>
> ..or you can read 'the whole truth' here;
> Wisdom is attractive.
>
> V/R
>
> DG
>
> --
> Dave Garten
> dgarten at nova.org
> dgarten at totalimage.org

Lara Matthews             	SUN Enterprise Systems Reseller
Technical Support Manager	SUN Academic Business Centre
ACCESS Computing Limited        SUN Application Provider Resource Centre
7 Elphinstone Square            iPLANET Authorised Software Partner
Deans Industrial Estate
Livingston EH54 8RG

Telephone:      		01506 461400
Fax:            		01506 461410
Email:          		lara at accesscomputing.co.uk
WWW:            		www.accesscomputing.co.uk

This communication contains information which is confidential and may
also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended
recipient(s).

If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of
distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information
in it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

If you received this communication in error please return it to
the sender.

We would be grateful if you would also delete the email and destroy
any copies of it.