[SunHELP] mountd security vulnerablility

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 23 12:39:18 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Li John-a16118 wrote:

| Dale,
|
| After I installed the patch(107477-03) and restart the system, ISS
| still found the same vulnerability. Could you advise me on this ?

ISS will probably report it anyway, as long as that service is operating.
For a service such as this, there's no way it can determine if it's
vulnerable or patched short of actually attempting to exploit it.

ISS is going on the notion that if there's a known exploit for a paticular
service, it will *always* raise the flag on it. Your best bet at that
point is to inspect the service, determine if there is a patch that fixes
the exploit (and installing said patch if there is) and moving on.

But, like I said earlier... It is best to disable the offending service,
even if it's patched, if it's not needed.

/dale