[SunHELP] urgent help

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 03:33:34 CDT 2001

Bring the machine to the OBP, I assume an init 0 is out of the question so a
powerdown will probably be unavoidable. Bring the machine up and get it to
the ok prompt, stop-A or I think break-A should do this while it's checking
memory before it boots.

Put in a bootable Solaris CD and then from the ok prompt...

ok boot cdrom -s

Once it's booted, mount the root partition, probably c0t0d0s0 though not
definately.

# cd /tmp
# mkdir /tmproot
# mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /tmp/tmproot
# cd tmproot/etc

Then you need to edit /tmproot/etc/passwd and/tmproot/etc/shadow and remove
the x in the 2nd field in passwd and the asdfhlakjhd in the 2nd field
shadow. init 6 and the box should boot without a root password.

Will.