[SunHELP] Tatung U2 + OBP Upgrade

David Eisner sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 11:21:44 CDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> 	I'm assuming by the time Sun figured out how to make 64-bit processors
> that they have flash updatable OBP like my PC from 1996 :) Anyone have any
> advice ... I'm afraid to research this alone and end up with a dead box =P

Read this:

   http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.28.23/SPARCHW/@Ab2PageView/5961?Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

I believe the patch you need is 104169-08.  You can download it from
sunsolve.sun.com.  Follow the directions carefully.

With Solaris 7, you also had to change a setting in
/platform/sun4u/boot.conf in order to enable the 64-bit kernel, since:

  # On systems containing 200MHz or lower UltraSPARC-I processors,
  # it is possible for a user to run a 64-bit program designed to exploit a
  # problem that could cause the processor to stall. "

I don't know if you have to do this with Solaris 8, though.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle at eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |