[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #963 - 4 msgs

Ben Ricker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 14:37:49 CDT 2001

On 18 Apr 2001 18:41:15 +0000, praveena k wrote:

> HI admins
>
> How do i make root equalent user , someone told that  edit the /etc/passwd
> and create use the root id for the new root user .
> can u explain me clearly , i have nis running on the same machine , does it
> effects the maps ??

Create the user through the usual ways. Then, vi the passwd file. you
will see two numbers near the front of the listing. The first is the
userid and the second is the group ID. Change the first number, the UID,
to '0' (zero). Save the passwd file and login as the user you just
edited. You are now the almighty root.

> second option is use SUDO , where do i get SUDO Software and how to use it ,
> it is free downloable , if so can you tell me the site

Go to http://mirrors.xmission.com/local/sunfreeware/, choose the version
of Solaris you have, and then look for the sudo package.

Ben Ricker
Senior System Administrator
US-Rx, inc.