[SunHELP] Changing Root's Shell

James Fogg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 07:39:18 CDT 2001

4 out of 5 sysadmins surveyed recommend sh for root.

Why? many reasons, but one that bit me was the different resource requirements
of the very slim, sexy and simple sh compared to the bloated, memory hogging,
cpu eating bash. If you have a sick machine or a fork bombed process you might
be able to comfortably navigate your system using sh. Bash/others would weight
more heavilly on a handicapped system.

Instead, exec /usr/local/bin/bash (substitute path/shell as needed) and you can
change shells on the fly. To leave your shell, type exit and your back at sh.

If you feel compelled to change any users shell, edit /etc/passwd and change
the shell defined at the end of the line for that user. Hint, don't leave any
blank lines at the end of passwd, many systems don't like it. Use vi/vim to
avoid accidental blank lines (emacs and others may not be configured to show
eof).

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> Hi All
>    By changing the root's shell what are the things which get affected in
general?Can someone tell what are the procedures to follow/to take care while
changing the shell for the root user which does'nt hamper the normal
performance of the OS(Solaris 7). >   Thanks in Advance >   Srinivas >