[SunHELP] Changing Root's Shell

Jan Johansson sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 05:39:02 CDT 2001

[ The lines have been broken for your ejoyment.]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 09:59:56AM -0000, ES Srinivas wrote:
>By changing the root's shell what are the things which get
>affected in general?Can someone tell what are the procedures to
>follow/to take care while changing the shell for the root user
>which does'nt hamper the normal performance of the OS(Solaris
>7).

Do not change roots shell, you will be sorry at 5:00 in the
morning.

Set up a user with uid 0 and the alternate shell you whish to
have, for example "toor" and put it after root in your
/etc/passwd.

If you do not trust me on the "Do not do" issue, watch the
mailing archives of all unix list for all that have gone down
that road and failed.