[SunHELP] SNMPDX ERRORS

John Duksta sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 17 06:14:42 CDT 2001

Ravi,

If you don't need to be running SNMP on this machine,
you would be well advised to disable it. Especially if
this is an external (internet facing) machine.

There was a buffer overflow exploit for snmpDX announced
last week (or the week before) on BugTraq. I'm fairly sure
that it resulted in a remote root exploit, but I can't find
the notice now in a quick search.

I'm not sure if what you're seeing here is indicative of
the exploit being used on your machine, but it would definately
be worth looking into.

Regards,

-john