[SunHELP] SSA model numbers and capabilities

Björn Ramqvist sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 17 04:57:59 CDT 2001

No.
There were two models; 10x and 11x (as in 102, 112 and so on)
If I remember correctly, the difference are in the CPUs in them, and/or
cache-sizes.
The last number was just a marketing-figure, to point out what kind of
drives there were in them. (someone correct me here if I'm wrong)
Not to mention the SSA 2xx models, made for the "datacenter mass
storage" cabinets.

I do recommend you to dig in the mailinglist archives, since this
question has been discussed before.
I have one clear memory about a Sun service engineer that told me the
SSA 1xx can only take 8GB as maximum, no exceptions. So practicly, 9GB
drives goes back to somewhere near 8GB. Several arrays are still in
production running either 9GB or 18GB drives, depending on what was
available at service, but only utilizing 8GB.

<opinion>
That, and the fact that the 25MB/s FC is so sadly limited, makes the SSA
1xx models almost not worth the trouble of getting them in working
order.
</opinion>