[SunHELP] SNMPDX ERRORS

David Rouse sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 11:27:34 CDT 2001

On 4/16/01 at 8:33 AM, Ravi_Thotapalli at csaa.com wrote:

>Hi I am getting this error and I have no clue about the Electronic mail
>stuff so could any one please help me
>
>thanks
>ravi
>
>Apr 16 07:38:51 fndev03 last message repeated 4 times
>Apr 16 07:39:21 fndev03 snmpdx: error while receiving a pdu from
>fndev03.164: Th
>e message has a wrong version (2)

It isn't email, actually -- SNMP = Simple Network Monitoring Protocol. The
daemon here is snmpdx, Sun Solstice Enterprise Master Agent. If you don't
really need all this stuff, you might want to check the man pages and your
/etc/init.d files and turn some of it off.

Either the machine is sending itself a message it doesn't quite understand
or someone else is sending the machine a message it doesn't quite
understand. Note -- SNMP can sometimes be a security problem and it is good
to block it at the firewall.

--
drouse