[SunHELP] PROM Password

Martin Marshall sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 18:50:06 CDT 2001

Ian Chilton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just got an SS10, but it has a PROM password.
>
> Someone suggested that I turn it on without the NVRAM, then put it in and use set-defaults.
>
> However, without the NVRAM, it doesn't turn on, or come on when I insert it.. I have to power down and back on again..
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Is there any other way round the PROM password apart from buying another NVRAM?
>
> Someone is sending me a new PROM with the latest version - will this make the password thing go away?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bye for Now,
>
> Ian
>
>                                   \|||/
>                                   (o o)
>  /-----------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------------------------\
>  |  Ian Chilton                    E-Mail: ian at ichilton.co.uk         |
>  |  IRC Nick: GadgetMan            Backup: ichilton at www.linux.org.uk  |
>  |  ICQ: 16007717 / 104665842      Web   : http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
>  |--------------------------------------------------------------------|
>  |       For people who like peace and quiet: a phoneless cord        |
>  \--------------------------------------------------------------------/

Ian:

I have cleared the password in the NVRAM a couple of times, once on a
SS10.  As I remember, the steps are:

Pull the NVRAM chip and reinsert the chip, somewhat loosely.
Boot the SS10
Pull the NVRAM chip
Press stop-a
After you get a ok prompt, reinsert the NVRAM chip
Type:
	setenv security-mode none (then press enter)
	setenv security-mode none (then press enter) (yes, type twice)
Power off SS10 and boot

Password should be gone.

Also, a new PROM chip will not clear the password.  A new NVRAM will
clear the password, but the new NVRAM chip will have to be programmed.

Hope this helps,

Martin Marshall