[SunHELP] NIS - "no shell"

Ben Ricker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 11:35:19 CDT 2001

Not sure about the NIS part, but if you try to su into an account and
get the 'no shell' message. it is probably because the /etc/passwd file
points to a shell executable that does not exist. If there is one there,
you might have been hacked (although I am not so sure about this one).
Shell problems that were fine one day and messed up the next are a
indication of a possible hack.

Anyway, first, check the path listed in the /etc/passwd. The shell is
listed after the last ':' in the passord file entry.

Ben Ricker
System Administrator
US-Rx, inc.