[SunHELP] SS1+ Boot Problems

Luke . sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 00:38:13 CDT 2001

Hi,

I recently got hold of an old Sun SPARCStation 1+ the other day, it contains
16Mb of RAM (i.e. 1MB Simms in all of it's 16 RAM slots), and a video card
to allow it to be plugged into a Sun monitor.  The problem I am having is
that when I first booted it displayed the following:

SPARCStation 1+, Type-4 Keyboard
ROM Rev. 1.3, 16 MB memory installed, Serial #1840
Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID ffffffff

And then does nothing else, no error messages and no OK prompt.

I recognised the Ethernet address problem as being the NVRAM, so I took the
NVRAM chip out of an old dead SPARCStation 2, and put it into the 1+.  This
fixed the Ethernet address and Host ID, and they now display correct values,
however the machine still does nothing else after this prompt, it just sits
there (no errors or OK prompt).  Pressing keys on the keyboard seems to have
no effect, including trying to press Stop-A, etc.

The other strange thing is that the power light on the font of the machine
comes on when you first turn it on, and then turns off at about the same
time as a video signal is sent to the monitor.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
as this is my first go at working with SPARC equipment. :)

Thanks!!
Luke.