[SunHELP] Hardware diagnostics for SUN

Chanaka Mendis sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 10:08:25 CDT 2001

Melinda Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend some hardware diagnostic tools for sparcs other than
> the basic ROM tools (test memory etc) My server keeps crashing and I have
> stripped it back to one disk but am still no closer to figuring out what
> is causing the crashes (sparcstation 10 not /var/crash file created).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Melinda

> Dr. Melinda Taylor                      Research Associate
> Dept. of Astrophysics and Optics        Phone: +61 2 9385 4560
> School of Physics                       Fax:   +61 2 9385 6060
> UNSW, Sydney, 2052                      Email: melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au

Hi,
For hardware diagnostic, you can use SUNVTS, it comes with the OS CD PACK.
 you have to enable savecore in order to create /var/crash by system in the
case of PANIC situation.
You should uncomment savecore area  on of the scripts in /etc/rc2.d to
enable savecore. (SOL 8 default enabled).
If the OS is SOL 2.6 there  is a patch for crash dump also.

Bregds
/Gayantha