[SunHELP] MACs and Servers with more than one network card on same network!

Foong, Tzeweng sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 01:08:15 CDT 2001

Hi All,

I have been told that the MAC address on network cards are the same
for sun sparc machines !!  They somehow (How?) get their MAC address
synchronised (provided by) on the motherboard.

Therefore how would it be posible to have 2 network cards on the same
network??

I understand that the MAC address can somehow (How? anyone know?)
be changed to another address so that the 2 network cards can be
put on the same network. Also what would you change the Mac
address to? I thought that these addresses are in some fixed sequence
so that any 2 cards would not have the same MAC. But some how Sparc
architecture makes any network cards on the same machine the same.!!

Please explain...

Thanks in advance!!

Tze Weng Foong