[SunHELP] disk space

Gereon Stein sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 08:41:58 CDT 2001

Srgio Carvalho wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have a terrible problem, when I use the command du -k in a FS, I noticed
> that There was 1 Gb of free space, but when I use df -k, I noticed that
> there is no free space, what can I do???????

No Gurus here, only us users...

But anyway, du gives you the disk usage, i.e. the space that the files on
the filesystem currently require. I assume that you calculate the amount
of "supposed" free space by comparing the output of du to the total FS size.

Be aware however, that Solaris - like any other UNIX - by default reserves
a given percentage of disk space for superuser use only. Using df -k will
give you the free space in kilobytes _without_ the space reserved for the
root user. Thus adding up the used and avail fields will yield a total of
less than the total kbytes field. Capacity will show 100% while the minfree
of, say, 5% may still be free but not available to a "normal" user.

If the difference actually proves to be 1GB, your FS must be HUGE (or your
system default minfree parameter screwed...) ;-)

Hope that helps,

Jerry