[SunHELP] Maximum users on a Solaris 2.6 server

Steven B. Parsons sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 21:59:23 CDT 2001

/usr/ccs/bin/nm /kernel/genunix | grep maxusers

[3572]  |         0|       0|NOTY |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |maxusers

root at twister[592]> more /etc/system | grep maxusers
*               set maxusers=40

root at twister[593]>      cat /etc/passwd  |wc
    3696    4521  216715

Im in a situation on a Sun 450 where useradd will not allow
anymore users to be added to the box.  Im thinking that If I
change the maxusers variable in /etc/system to say 5000 it will
correct this problem.  Well after doing a reboot -- -r also.

Could I get someone else's opinion on this before I make
this change.  I do appreciate your response .

Thanks

Steven B. Parsons
RoadRunner Sr System Engineer
sparsons at columbus.rr.com