[SunHELP] Ping machine.

Jarrett Carver sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 17:40:47 CDT 2001

Right click on Network Neighborhood, properties -> protocols -> properties
-> WinsAddress. If this is filled in there is a WINS server it is using
*before* checking DNS. There is also a spot in this tab for lmhosts files,
which also get checked *before* dns.

NT tries hostname lookups in the following order cache, WINS, broadcast,
lmhosts, host, DNS. However, don't know of a way to tell where NT resolves
the name from. I also don't think there is a way to change that search
order. (insert generic NT put-down here).

Perhaps an NT guru on the list know more?