[Sunhelp] Taking Sun Certification

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Fri Sep 29 16:54:13 CDT 2000

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 01:33:33PM -0700, Paul Khoury wrote:
> I'm going to be purchasing the Sun Sol Admin I voucher to take the test.
> Is there anywhere I should practice or anything I should read up on before
> going in for the test?  Also, how easy/hard is it?  According to the Sun course catalog,
> I believe I know most of what that course offers.

I took the Admin I test last week.  It wasn't very difficult.  There
are -- and I think this is normal for a certification exam -- some
questions that are phrased in a strange way.  There's not a lot you
can do about them except to know what you're expected to know.

I borrowed the Admin I course materials from a friend in order to
study.  (I know AIX and Linux pretty well already, so the generic
UNIX questions were a cake walk.)  Many of the questions on the
exam were straight out of the course material.

Make sure you know the objectives, bone up on your weak areas, and
review *all* of your notes before taking the exam.  (Not that it
makes me special or anything, but I scored a 91%.  The course
materials were a big help.)

Regards,

Nick Dronen