[Sunhelp] Hostname on Sun5.8

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at sweden.sun.com
Fri Sep 29 03:14:51 CDT 2000

This is caused by the DHCP server not being configured with a hostname
for the address which your client gets from it, Solaris box will query
the DHCP server for a hostname, if the server doesn't return anything it
will default to "unknown".

There is a workaround for this, if you make sure you have the hostname you
want in /etc/nodename you can edit the following scripts:
/etc/rcS.d/S30network.sh and /etc/init.d/S72inetsvc, and in those scripts
replace the line
hostname=`sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`

with
hostname=`cat /etc/nodename`

And you should have your own hostname, even if it only will be known
by your own box, but its still less irretating than "unknown".

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */