[Sunhelp] Hostname on Sun5.8

Brickel, Barry BBrickel at maintech.com
Thu Sep 28 21:21:02 CDT 2000

I am running  Sun5.8 on a Pentium  Workstation on an NT network with an NT
DHCP Server. The name "Unknown"  keeps on getting assigned as my hostname.
The workstation works fine otherwise on the network and can ping other
workstations and the Internet ok. My /etc/hosts file says "Unknown is
supplied by DHCP". I have tried modifying etc/hostname.elxl0,
etc/net/*/hosts and etc/hosts. But the "unknown" name keeps on re-appearing.

When I run sys-unconfig I am not prompted for hostname and end up
with"unknown" as the hostname.

System Information says Network Domain [could not Ascertain]
Internet Domain is blank

Do you know what could assign a hostname that sticks?