[Sunhelp] How to print to a LPR

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Mon Sep 25 21:19:11 CDT 2000

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up my laserjet III using ghostscript, but now through
my new NetGear print server, which can do TCP printing, LPR, etc.  But I
need to figure out how to send it to an ip address and a spool (or
whatever you call it) as there are two printers hooked up to this 2 port
server.

Here is what I got off a page I was looking at
(http://cfauvcs5.harvard.edu/SetGSprinter4Solaris.html#Remote):

lpadmin -p <printer name> -i /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard -v /dev/null
\
    -o dest=<printer network address> -I postscript

Then edit /etc/lp/interfaces/<printer name> file and replace whole
if-statement

if [ -z "${FILTER}" ]
then
        #####
        #
        # If no filter is being used, we use netpr to push the
        # file to the printer.
        # (QUOTES ARE IMPORTANT!)
        #####
fi

with

FILTER="/path_to_gs/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE <options to run your
printer> -sOutputFile=- -"

Then run

enable your_printer_name
accept your_printer_name

######end of web page#######

Does anyone know how to set this up so that I can send it to a specific
que, or spool or whatever on the print server?

-Jonathan