[Sunhelp] Sizing a DNS server

Paul Khoury pkhoury2 at loop.com
Mon Sep 25 00:14:27 CDT 2000

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:42:36 -0500, Reagen Ward wrote:

>I'd wager your Quadra has better CPU than the IPX, but that's just me.

Not nessecarily.  A Quadra 610 has a 25MHz 68040 (with FPU, not
the broken 68C040).  I used to have one, but it was slower than my
SS2 (same as the IPC, a 40MHz SPARC with 64K cache, but 8 hardware
context's instead of the SS2's 16).

>However, the IPX might could handle more I/O than the quadra, as many 040 macs
>just weren't built for I/O.  Running BSD on the quadra would certainly help
>its stability.

Yeah, the SPARCs should be much better at IO.  I notice my SPARCs aren't terribly
fast, but the IO is bar none!

>I had a lot of problems with MacDNS and keep it up, and it was barely getting
>touched on a 7600.  I'd blame the application more than the hardware / OS.  If
>you can afford to replace it temporarily, I'd suggest experimenting with
>NetBSD on that quadra.

While on this topic, what about running Solaris 7 on an SS1+ with BIND 8?

I don't know how to use BIND at all, but I have that BIND 8 book somewhere here
(along with the Sendmail "bat" book and Apache).  I'm on the waiting list now
for DSL in my area.

Paul