[Sunhelp] Roadrunner and private network DNS

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sun Sep 24 18:29:04 CDT 2000

> I've got a smallish network at home (nothing worth posting a picture of
> here) and I'm getting RoadRunner installed soon, so I've been looking at the
> FAQs and Time Warner's service agreement. It seems like it is only a
> violation of the service agreement to attach the cable modem directly to a
> hub -- it has to be connected to a computer. So I've got this IPX with a
> second ethernet card and my thought has been to use it running ip-filter's
> NAT as a gateway.
>
> A few DNS/DHCP related concerns:
>
> * The private network uses BIND (running on the IPX) for host resolution at
> the local level. It looks like I loose control over what resolvers I use
> with DHCP. Is there anyway I can still have the IPX use the name resolver
> that I choose, rather than the DHCP values?

It depends on the dhcp client you use.  I use dhclient (from Internet
Software Consortium's dhcp server package) on my firewall.  The dhclient
config file (/etc/dhclient.conf) goes something like this:

supersede domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
supersede domain-name "domain1.com domain2.com";

interface "interface" {
        send host-name "hostname";
        script "/etc/dhclient.script";
}

> * I'd like to have the IPX send syslog messages to another machine, is there
> a way to make this work?

syslog on Linux & FreeBSD can do that - it would surprise me if
SunOS/Solaris syslog can't.  Check the syslog.conf manpage.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

"There are two things that are infinite; Human stupidity and the universe.
And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein