[Sunhelp] Ethernet puzzle

Gary Gendel x3145 ggendel at sarnoff.com
Fri Sep 22 07:13:33 CDT 2000

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's input...

It seems that this is a common ailment for some switches.  However, I did find
this interesting...

When I first power up the Ultra-10, the D-link port lights show up as
100base-T/half duplex.  When the Ultra starts booting, the lights go out and
the problem occurs (no initialization).  However, if I unplugged the cable and
powered up the Ultra, plugging the cable in after the booting starts, the port
does initialize itself correctly.  It would seem that the initial power-on
state of the ethernet card confuses the D-link port logic.  I also found, that
once it initializes properly, I can shut down the Ultra and power up without
fail.  The problem only seems to reoccur when the machine is powered off for
several hours.  It's a cumbersome way to start up the system, but it seems to
be one way to workaround the problem.  Caveat: I haven't done enough
experimentation to be sure that this workaround behaves consistantly (yet).

Regards,
Gary