[Sunhelp] Tape library recommendations

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Fri Sep 22 01:53:04 CDT 2000

Hi,

Over here my customer is running an SGI Origin 200 (not very
Sun-related) with a 7-slot DEC TZ887 drive, actually a re-badged Quantum
DLT-4700. Those can handle 140/280GB (uncompressed/compressed) and is
quite cheap.
We bought this one as a used item, beeing much cheaper than a new one. I
think we paid somewhere around $2500-$3500 for that baby, and since it
was bought as a "re-manufactured" item, we had full service and
warranty.

The good thing about this one is that it's fully rackmountable. It's
even possible to mount 2 exactly the same drives side-by-side in a
cabinet, without wasting any rack-units. (I think it takes somewhat near
5U)
The downside on this baby is that these 20/40GB DLT-4000 drives are
pretty slow. Think 1.5MB/s and it takes about 20-24hrs to back up 250GB.
(estimated)
Since the price is somewhat low, you can even buy two of these, and run
RAIT. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn