[Sunhelp] incresing pts

Janet Mintern mintern at simflex.com
Thu Sep 21 22:42:28 CDT 2000

Be careful doing this though.  I am a very small shop and carry a contract
for support.  They told me to raise these settings to get past the default
limit when users weren't able to log in.  I went along with that because I
had read about it on this list and knew that was the answer. I changed it
and blew up the database software (Pi-Open, old but some folks are still
running it :-)  )that is mission critical on the server.  I ended up having
to change semaphore settings in /etc/system and spending hours trying to
figure out what went wrong and on the phone to the database support group as
well as the Solaris support group.  Always be aware that any changes you
make effect whatever software you are running.  That was a hard lesson to
learn.  The server was down for 5 hours while we all scratched our heads and
tried a zillion different things.  God bless the support groups because they
figured out what went wrong.  Just a word of warning from someone who was
there and doesn't want anyone else to suffer the pain.