[Sunhelp] Process Monitoring.

Fletcher, Joe joe.fletcher at Metapack.com
Thu Sep 21 16:00:35 CDT 2000

Hi,

You might try running iostat. I've seen similar behaviour on a system
whereby every so often it syncs the disks. If a process is making heavy
utilisation of the cache you can potentially see the symptoms you describe.

Just a place to look.

Cheers

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Conrad [mailto:tconrad at edisonschools.com]
Sent: 21 September 2000 21:18
To: SunHelp
Subject: [Sunhelp] Process Monitoring.

I need something to monitor processes somewhere between top and truss. :
)

I have a box that keeps doing this wierd pausing thing, (maybe every
5-10 minutes for 30 seconds) and I need to be able to monitor specific
processes to see if they are the culprit. Top is too broad, and I have
to wait for it to refresh, and I loose some of the info when that
happens. I need something that preferrably logs to a file, and it checks
every 30 seconds or so.

Sar is enabled to gather stats every 20 minutes, or however it works. It
isn't overly helpful, since it doesn't narrow down which processes are
doing what.

Any Ideas? :)

Tim

SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org