[Sunhelp] Fault tolerant system.

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Sep 21 09:52:12 CDT 2000

Disclaimer:  I don't have enough money to actually purchase a system like
this, but I've gone over it and diagramed it a couple of times, "just in
case".

Yeah, pretty straight forward.

> What I think we need to do is connect 	S1 portA to Ar1
> port1 and portB to
> Ar2 port2
> 					S2 portB to Ar1 port2
> and portA to
> Ar2 port1

Sounds good to me.

> We then use RAID manager to carve up the disks within the
> arrays (12 disks
> in each)
> and manage the resulting virtual disks through Veritas at
> operating system
> level.
>
> 	S1	S2
> 	 |    \    / |
> 	 |      \/	 |
> 	 |    /   \	 |
> 	Ar1	Ar2

Yeah, that's how I'd do cabling, as you're aiming for redundancy, so that if
any 1 piece fails, you still have the other to pick up.

> Alternatives are to chain the two arrays together and single port each
> server thus:
>
> S1----Ar1----Ar2 ----S2

I wouldn't go this way, as it's likely to hamper performance (the servers
don't have a bus dedicated to each array), and it takes a bit away from the
fault tolerance as well.  Later,
	Greg